Believe it or not, Clallam Conservation District has been in existence for 60 years (officially formed on September 29, 1959). The original mission of helping farmers and landowners conserve natural resources on their lands hasn’t changed much in the past six decades, but the land, land users and resource concerns have.
Major milestones and accomplishments over the past 60 years include:
1959 – District established.
1989 – First district employee hired.
1989 – First issue of Conservation News published and distributed to mailing list of 350. Current mailing list exceeds 3,500 which includes over 1,800 email recipients.
1990 – First native plant sale conducted – 1,500 plants sold. Over past 30 years, more than 345,400 native trees and shrubs sold to about 5,700 customers.
1990 – First Landscaping with Native Plants workshop. Nearly 5,000 participants in sustainable landscaping workshops and courses to date.
1993 – Constructed wetland built to evaluate treatment of irrigation tailwater.
1994-99 – Jobs for the Environment crews restored habitat on miles of stream, installed dozens of miles of fencing and riparian planting throughout district.